Crocheted Snowflake Hotpad

misc. 002

Winter Snowflakes

Last year, I started a project of making a potholder each month for my daughters. Perhaps potholders aren’t all fashionable and stylish, but since you need to have them, I tried to use patterns that were at least pretty. This is the one for January called Winter Snowflakes. It went together very quickly and was essentially two big “granny squares” sewed together. I did line the inside with several thicknesses of cotton terry cloth for insulation purposes, just to be safe.

Snowflake Hotpad

Materials:
G Hook
Color A – White
Color B – Fiesta Navy

Instructions:

With color A, ch 6; join to form a ring.

Rnd 1(right side): Ch 3 (counts as a dc on this and following rnds), 15 dc in ring; join in 3rd ch of beg ch-3 – 16 dc.

Rnd 2: Ch 5 (counts as a dc and a ch-2 sp), dc in same ch; sk next dc; *in next dc work (dc, ch 2, dc); sk next dc; rep from * 6 times more; join in 3rd ch of beg ch-5 – 8 ch- sps.

Rnd 3: Sl st in next ch-2 sp, ch 3, in same sp work (dc, ch 3, 2 dc); in rem ch-2 sp work (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc); join in 3rd ch of beg ch-3 – 8 ch-3 sps.

Rnd 4: Sl st in next dc and in next ch-3 sp, ch 3, in same sp work (2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc); in each rem ch-3 sp work (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc); join in 3rd ch of beg ch-3.

Rnd 5: Sl st in next 2 dc and in next ch-3 sp, ch 3, in same sp work(3 dc, ch 2, 4 dc); in each rem ch-3 sp work (4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc); join in 3rd ch of beg ch-3 – 8 ch-2 sps. Finish off Color A.

Rnd 6: Join Color B in any ch-2 sp; ch 3, in same sp, work (dc, ch 3, 2 dc) – beginning corner made; working in sps between dc, dc in next 5 sps, hdc in next sp, sc in next sp, sl st in next ch-2 sp; sc in next sp, hdc in next sp, dc in next 5 sps; * in next ch-2 sp work (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) – 2nd corner made; dc in next 5 sps, hdc in next sp, sc in next sp, sl st in next ch-2 sp; sc in next sp, hdc in next sp, dc in next 5 sps; repeat from * twice more for 3rd and 4th corners; join in 3rd ch of beg ch-3.

Rnd 7: Ch 3, dc in next dc, in next corner ch-3 sp work corner; * dc in next 6 dc, sc in next 7 sts, dc in next 6 dc, in next corner ch-3 sp work corner; rep from * twice more; dc in next 6 dc, sc in next 7 sts, dc in next 4 dc; join in 3rd ch of beg ch-3. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Now make a second one.

Outside border: I then placed them, wrong sides together, and single crocheted through both thicknesses with blue, sc along edge and doing 3 sc in each corner and adding a ch 10 loop in one corner in between the 2nd and 3rd sc of that corner.

44 Responses to Crocheted Snowflake Hotpad

• LyndiLou says:

This is so cute! :) I love that you made us these fun potholders! You’ll have to show the rest of the months eventually!

• Kathy says:

I would love to have the crochet pattern “Winter Snowflakes” however the link seems to be broken. Is there any other way I might be able to locate it? Thanks so much. You have a beautiful website and a lovely family.

Kathy

Launi Reply:

I’ll go on a search and find it right this minute. I’ll repair the link asap–so please check back. It was a wonderful, fun pattern and I know you’ll love it.

Be right back.

Oh, and thanks for pointing that out to us!

Wanda Reply:

@Kathy, Kathy, you can “pin” it if you have Pinterest.

• Brenda says:

I love this! I am a snowflake lover so this will be made real soon!! Thanks for the pattern!

• Pingback: Snowflake Hotpad Pattern « Through the Priszm

• Janine says:

This is just beautiful. I will certainly do some for Christmas presents. Thanks. :lol: :lol:

Launi Reply:

Oh, I’m so glad you like it! It is about time to be thinking of Christmas–isn’t it? :}

• RecycleCindy says:

Such a beautiful snowflake crocheted potholder. I have bookmarked this and really would like to make a few of these for Christmas gifts. Thanks for sharing such a cool pattern free.

• Kristy taylor says:

Any way we can get the other months hotpads you make?

Launi Reply:

I only ended up doing a couple. Here is the March Sunflower~ http://www.graciousrain.com/2009/03/31/march-sunflower/ But I’ll have to search around for the others. :}

• Devin says:

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Launi. I have been looking everywhere for this pattern. I got it from one of my books that I have tucked-away safely ‘somewhere’. (LOL) I made it as motifs for an afghan and loved the pattern. I had one motif left over and trying to re-do it from that, it just didn’t look quite right. I’ve been looking all morning for the pattern. You made my day and now my husband can have the computer back. Thanks from both of us.

Launi Reply:

You are wholeheartedly welcome. :}

[Reply]

• Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful post. Thank you for supplying this information.

• jenny walker says:

I really like your Snowflake Hotpad. It’s very pretty. I have read the instructions but I still can’t do it. Can you make a video and show me each step slowly how to do it? It’s more easily for me to learn it PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

• Elle says:

I made this last year for a xmas present and turned out beautifully. Now I am going to use this same pattern to make a blanket.

Launi Reply:

Elle~ I hope you’ll show us the finished project. It will be lovely! :smile:

• Cyndi says:

Thank you for the pattern. I plan to make a lot of single snowflakes and use them to make a large afghan for my daughter in law!!

• Emma says:

I just wanted to say thank you so much for sharing this pattern, its really pretty :) I’ve just finished making the snowflake part and cant believe how quick and easy it was following your pattern. I was wondering would it be ok with you if I shared this on ravelry? I know a lot of people would love to make this.
    Merry Christmas :)

Launi Reply:

How flattering Emma. Thank you. I’m so glad that you’ve enjoyed making the Snowflake pattern. You are welcome to share it on Ravelry. Would you mind linking back to Gracious Rain though? That will be wonderful. Thanks! Merry Christmas. :}

Emma Reply:

@Launi,
    Thank you for letting me add it, linked back to you :)

• Linda says:

wow this is gorgous! would make a beautifull winter blanket too.

• Pingback: {2014 project – May squares} | aurelia's little room

• Theresa Losiowski says:

Hi:

On the snowflake potholder, what kind of yarn did you use?

Thanks.

Launi Reply:

Hi Theresa~

I used Lily’s Peaches & Cream 100% cotton yarn. I love it. :3

• Pingback: Project: Snowflake Square | Wilhelmina Handmade

• Holly says:

How big is one finished square?

• Jess says:

Hi! I love this pattern :) It is so beautiful. My Grandma recently taught me to crochet and since her favorite holiday is Christmas I would like to make this for her. I am having some difficulty in the very last step that says “work corner” – what does that mean? Does it mean to do the same thing I did in the ch sp from previous round? Or should I try a few SC in that space instead? I’m not so sure what to do there. You’re help you be greatly appreciated!
    Rnd 7: Ch 3, dc in next dc, in next corner ch-3 sp work corner

Cynthia Reply:

@Jess,
    Jess, On round 6 it reads “2 DC ch 2 DC , corner made.” On round 7 you will make your corners the same way.

Cynthia Reply:

@Jess, sorry…that last post should have been 2DC ch3 2DC

• Joyce says:

When I first saw this pot holder it looked difficult but I found its really easy and works up quickly. I love it. Thank you for sharing! :grin:

• Joyce says:

How do I include a pic with my post?

• Pingback: That Pretty Little Snowflake |

• Manuelita White says:

Just wanted to pass on hint. There is batting you can buy that is made for hot pads and other items that have to be able to handle heat. It is sold under several names but the fabric store can help you find it and works better than what you are using and is less bulky requiring only one layer. hope this help and thank you for the lovely pattern, looking forward to making some for the holidays for my kitchen!

• Robin says:

Love this pattern, works well in cotton or acrylic. I have used both.

• Gaye says:

Just started this pretty snowflake. I’ve been crocheting about 60 yrs., but row 6 makes no sense to me. Please HELP. Thanks.

Launi Reply:

I tried to spell it out more clearly. I hope it helps. :]

• Gaye says:

Never mind. I jumped the gun! Finally got it. Thanks for a very pretty pattern.

Launi Reply:

Oh, good! I hope you’ll email me with a picture of the end results.
    launikanderson@gmail.com

• Tara Pham says:

Thank you so much for the lovely pattern!! I just made mine in red and white and it came out beautifully. Happy holidays!

Launi Reply:

Oh, wonderful!! Send me a picture and I’ll post it for you–if you like. :wink:

• Pingback: Snowflakes for Home-Start – FREE PATTERNS! | LoveKnitting Blog

• RW says:

Thanks for sharing this pattern. I just sent one to my son and daughter-in-law and started one for my sister who loves snow. :)